There are some foods that we, as humans, eat every day and are perfectly edible but may be toxic and even poisonous to your dog.

This is because every animal has a different metabolic rate. Metabolism is the process of breaking down food and turning it into energy.

It is always tempting to give your dog leftovers or to share your food with them when they look up at you with those big pleading eyes and cute doggie grin but what we find enjoyable and tasty can be extremely dangerous for our beloved canine friends.

Learn which items are particularly dangerous to your dog.

ONIONS, GARLIC, AND CHIVES

The onion family is exceedingly toxic to dogs, whether it be powdered, dry, raw or cooked. It can cause red blood cell damage, causing anemia along with gastrointestinal irritation. The signs of illness, like weakness, vomiting, and breathing problems can occur up to a few days later and not always immediate to recognize.

CHOCOLATE

It is fairly common knowledge that chocolate is bad for dogs. Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine and however enticing it is for humans it is poisonous to dogs. Theobromine is in all kinds of chocolate, even white chocolate but the most dangerous types are dark and unsweetened baking chocolate. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, heart problems, tremors, seizures and in some cases even death.

MACADAMIA NUTS

Macadamia nuts contain a toxin that can affect your dog’s nervous system and muscles resulting in weakness, panting, high temperature, and swollen limbs. Just six raw macadamia nuts can make a dog very sick.

CORN ON THE COB

Although the corn is digested by dogs, the cob can cause a blockage in your dog’s intestine, therefore could potentially be fatal.

AVOCADO

Avocados contain Persin which is found in the fruit, seed, and leaves and can cause vomiting and diarrhea. So if you grow avocados at home, keep your dogs away from the plants themselves. If a dog manages to get a whole avocado then the seed if swallowed can become stuck in the intestines or stomach and therefore the obstruction could be fatal.

ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER (XYLITOL)

Often many of our sweet treats are laced with a sweetener called Xylitol which causes insulin to be released in our bodies when eaten. If your dog digests one of these sweetened foods then their blood sugar drops and causes hypoglycemia which is linked to liver failure and blood clotting disorders. Early symptoms include vomiting, lethargy and coordination problems. Eventually, your dog may have seizures.

Examples of foods containing Xylitol are sweets, gum, toothpaste, and even some peanut butter.

ALCOHOL

Small doses of alcohol including food containing alcohol can have a huge impact on your dog. It can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, coordination problems, coma, nervous system damage and even in some cases death, along with the intoxication as it does in human ways.

The smaller your dog, the worse it can be.

COOKED BONES

Raw bones for dogs are great but always avoid cooked bones. These can easily splinter and therefore having the possibility of causing perforation of the gut which in turn can be fatal and in large quantities can cause constipation. Bones can also block the intestines.

GRAPES AND RAISINS

Raisins are found in many foods that humans eat for example cakes and biscuits so it is not just the fruit form that we should be concerned with. They contain a toxin where the active ingredient is currently unknown but both grapes and raisins can cause severe liver damage and kidney failure. Early signs of having ingested raisins and grapes is vomiting over and over and within days your dog will get sluggish and depressed.

COFFEE, TEA AND OTHER CAFFEINE DRINKS

Caffeine can be fatal. Do not give your dog coffee, tea, and even the beans and the coffee grounds also. Caffeine is also present in cocoa, chocolate and energy drinks.

MILK AND OTHER DAIRY PRODUCTS

It is always tempting to share that last lick of your ice cream with you hot dog but give them some cold water instead. Dairy products can also trigger food allergies which cause itching and the more common symptoms of diarrhea and digestive problems.

RAW EGGS

Major veterinary medical associations are not keen for you to feed your dog raw eggs. There is a chance of them containing the bacteria salmonella or E.coli which then gives your dog food poisoning causing vomiting and diarrhea.

RAW MEAT AND FISH

Raw meat and fish can contain a bacteria, similar to raw eggs that cause food poisoning.

Some raw fish, for example, salmon, trout or sturgeon can have a parasite that causes “fish disease” or “salmon poisoning disease”.

Luckily, this is treatable but only if you get help straight away. Symptoms of vomiting, fever, and enlarged lymph nodes. Always fully cook the fish to kill the parasite.

SALT

We all love our salty snacks including pretzels and crisps and is very easy to share these with our canine best friends. Unfortunately, too much salt intake for a dog can make them seriously thirsty and could lead to sodium ion poisoning.

Symptoms of too much salt will include diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, seizures, high temperature, depression and even may cause death.

SUGARY FOODS AND DRINKS

Like in humans too much sugar can cause obesity and overweight issues giving rise to problems with their teeth and can lead to diabetes.

BAKING ITEMS AND SPICES

Both baking soda and baking powder are highly toxic to your dog, along with nutmeg and other spices. It is always best to keep your dog well away from the spice cupboard or put them completely out of your dog’s reach.

MOLDY FOOD

Food which has mold on it is obviously very old, we wouldn’t eat it so your dog shouldn’t too. It will contain bacteria that contains all sorts of toxins which will make your dog very sick.

IF YOUR DOG DOES EAT ANY OF THE ABOVE

Accidents happen and no matter how careful you are your dog will always find something and hunt something out that they shouldn’t and try and eat it!

Always have the number of your local vet and emergency veterinary clinic clearly placed somewhere for these such emergencies.